- Fossilized / Calcified gastropods from Saint Marys, Georgia (040120e)
- In 1978 the US Navy decided the best location for their Trident Nuclear Submarines was on the southern coast of Georgia. The channel leading to this area was not deep enough to allow passage of the submarines and therefore had to be dredged. A tremendous amount of fossilized debris was removed by the Army Core of Engineers, and they would not allow people to know where it was being dumped to keep collectors out of the way. However some of the locations were found and these calcified gastropods were among some of this debris.
- Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay is a base of the United States Navy located adjacent to the city of St. Marys in Camden County, Georgia, on the North River in southeastern Georgia, and 38 miles (61 km) from Jacksonville, Florida. The Submarine Base is the U.S. Atlantic Fleet‘s home port for U.S. Navy Fleet ballistic missile nuclear submarines armed with Trident missile nuclear weapons. This submarine base covers about 16,000 acres (6,400 hectares) of land, of which 4,000 acres (1,600 hectares) are protected wetlands.
- Nice sample fossils with historical relevance
- For more information “Click Here”
- This offering is for all 4 specimens
- Price is $18.00